Green Up Mix
|Planting Rate||65 to 105 LBS per Acre|
Green Up Mix
Green Up Mix is similar in function to Green Spring but with five species for increased diversity and better adaptability to variable soils.
- Seeding rate of 65-105 LBS per acre
- Designed to be planted in Spring to produce early hay or pasture
- Can remain undisturbed to convert spring rain into a water-saving mulch
- In areas with more abundant rain, it can precede soybeans or sorghum
- In areas with less rain use prior to wheat and is should be terminated by mid-June to allow soil profile recharge
Benefits of Cover Crops
- Nitrogen Fixing: To generate nitrogen credits beneficial for the next primary crop.
- Nutrient Scavenging: To consume and temporarily sequester (tie-up) nitrogen or to reclaim unreachable reservoirs of nutrients.
- Mulching and Organic Matter: To improve soil health (moisture retention and water holding capacity) as well as to reduce soil erosion.
- Soil conditioning: To reduce soil compaction, fracture hard-pan, and generally improve soil structure.
- Soil Pest Management: To suppress nematodes and disrupt pest cycles.
- Upland Birds: Creates brood rearing cover when planted in the spring through late summer.
Cool Season Peas