|Planting Rate||20 - 25 LBS per Acre|
Chick Magnet is a cover crop blend designed to provide brood cover for upland game birds, increasing chick survival. Game bird mortality is highest in the first few weeks after hatching. The mix attracts soft-bodied insects (90% of a newly hatched chicks diet consists of insects), then drop high protein seeds beginning in summer and continuing until winter.
- Provides desirable structure, providing good overhead protection from avian predators but an open ground level for ease of travel.
- Designed for game birds such as pheasant and quail, it is also useful to white-tailed deer and many other wildlife species.
- Comprised of nitrogen fixing legumes, deep tap rooted crops, and species that attract beneficial insects.
- Can be planted from March through July with good effect, but optimum planting date ranges from mid-April through mid-may
- Allow to stand through June of the second year, as the sweet clover survives through the winter
Benefits of Cover Crops
- Nitrogen Fixing: To generate nitrogen credits beneficial for the next primary crop.
- Nutrient Scavenging: To consume and temporarily sequester (tie-up) nitrogen or to reclaim unreachable reservoirs of nutrients.
- Mulching and Organic Matter: To improve soil health (moisture retention and water holding capacity) as well as to reduce soil erosion.
- Soil conditioning: To reduce soil compaction, fracture hard-pan, and generally improve soil structure.
- Soil Pest Management: To suppress nematodes and disrupt pest cycles.
- Upland Birds: Creates brood rearing cover when planted in the spring through late summer.
COOL SEASON PEAS